Tuesday, May 1, 2012

For Sale

Our house is up for sale.  My husband and I had not intended to sell our house.  We have lived here for nearly 20 years.  Our house is all on one floor with a large great room, open and cheery, and easy to care for.  My husband has a large finished pole barn that he does woodworking in.  It suits us.

But my dad passed away in January.  He left his house with nearly 13 acres to my sister and I.  My dad made it very clear that he wanted it to stay in the family.  It is part of the original Hoosier Heritage Homestead purchased by my great grandfather when he immigrated from Denmark.  None of our children are ready to buy a house in our area.  So our house is up for sale.

My sister remarried last summer.  Her new husband sold his house and they repainted, remodelled, and reworked her house to make it THEIR home.  She'd like to stay put.  They just updated after all.  She wants some of the property, but not the house.  So our house is up for sale.

My husband and I are excited about the potential at my dad's house-- 5 acres, closer to town, the old oak tree that generations have played and gathered under.  But we are a bit apprehensive too.  We will have neighbors living much closer to us, lots of work to do to the barn and the house, and a super tight crawl space.  We've walked the land.  We've gotten quotes to enlarge the barn so my husband can still have a woodshop.  We're looking at options to widen the crawl space.  Maybe a basement?  So our house is up for sale.  We will move it if sells.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with this new chapter in your life. I'm sure it seems scary. But what a neat opportunity to do things you never imagined. Enjoy the unknowns...if that's what ends up happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cyndy...so much change in such a little bit of time. I love your willingness to move when it's time. Good luck with all of the paperwork and feelings that will go with this new life path.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selling a house, yuk! Moving, yuk! But getting a home, priceless! I don't envy you the work ahead, but at the same time there is a sense of excitement for something different. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is scary, but it's also exciting! I hope that you and your family can embrace the exciting parts of this change in your life, and I wish you well on the sale of your house and the move!

    Jennifer K.
    web.me.com/aggiekesler/myjourneyabroad

    ReplyDelete