Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lilac memories


My Miss Kim just started blooming in the last week.  Her beauty and aroma reminding me of tea parties, hide and seek games, and many warm spring and summer days of my childhood.  We had a large lilac bush in our backyard growing up which was perfect cover when hiding from one of my sisters or brother.  The lush foliage made seeking difficult.  The bush cast a large shadow.  Perfect shade for afternoon tea parties.

My lilac bush stirs memories of my mother and my grandmother.  Both graciously accepting offerings of flowers plucked off the bush and handed to them with love.  In my memory we often had a vase of lilacs sitting on the kitchen table brightening up the room.

About ten years ago my husband and sons wanted to know what I wanted for Mother's Day.  A lilac bush was my answer.  Miss Kim was chosen and planted.  Each year as she blooms the memories return.

2 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of lilacs too and couldn't wait to have one of my own. I hope your new place will have a lilac bush as well.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fascinating how smells stir memories. A lilac bush for a Mother's Day gift is a splendid idea.
    The lilac bush in our summer house gives shade for reading.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete