Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Inkle

Sunday would have been my dad's 81st birthday.  (He passed away in January.)  My weekend thoughts were full of memories of Dad.  He was one of those good ole boys who never knew a stranger, wore his jeans most everywhere but church, and could fix or "cobble" almost any piece of machinery. 

My dad loved hosting the family get togethers.  And every get together had a euchre game or tourney.  From little up Dad made sure that the grandkids knew how to play euchre.  If you were dad's partner you soon learned to inkle.  And inkling was quite the production.  First your elbow hit the table, then your forearm, card in hand went down. As you laid your card into play you loudly shouted "inkle."  Woe, to the child or grandchild that paid no attention to Grandpa's inkle.

On Sunday I went to the cemetary, and as I walked to Dad's gravesite, I had to shout,"Inkle."

Love you, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. This is so heartwarming. It is nice to hear you talk about these sweet memories and how he touched so many young and old during family gatherings.

    ReplyDelete