Sunday, March 25, 2012

Another perspective

When I went to church this morning, I ended up sitting on the opposite side of the sanctuary than I normally do. I was talking to someone and hated to get up and cross the room as the service started.

The sun's rays shone brightly through a window I had not noticed before.   I could see the little children during the children's sermon.  They were quite entertaining.  I could not see the organist the way I usually do, but  I did observe the enthusiasm of the pianist.  I did not see the old grandfather clock out of the corner of my eye and so I never noticed how long the sermon was or wasn't.  No distracting thoughts of "he's talked for twenty minutes now."  I saw people up in the balcony that I didn't even know came to our church or the first service anyway.  Were they visitors?   How may weeks have they been coming? I got stopped after the service and they had disappeared so I still don't know.  I had a chance to talk to some older folks that I have known for years, but seldom see. 

I did pray and listen to the Bible reading.  The sermon made me think.  I really feel like I worshiped, but from a different perspective.

And now I am wondering--what else in my life would benefit from being looked at from another perspective?

4 comments:

  1. This is a great reflection. Another perspective offers opportunities for new observations, "The sun's rays shone brightly through a window I had not noticed before," or for new questions, "Were they visitors? How many weeks have they been coming," or for new feelings, "I really feel like I worshipped." I want to try this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Our family has sat on the same side, in the same 3-pew-range for as long as I can remember. Still, to this day, when I go home for visits, I would know with my eyes closed how to get to "our" seats. However, your description is so beautiful it makes me want to be the "rebel" and steal someone else's seat for a day. The thrill of shaking up the whole church is one thing (can you tell it is a SMALL church?) but the potential for a whole new worship experience is undeniably worth it, right?!? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A totally new experience by changing your position. That's the way to shake up your brain from the ordinary and routine. So, will you change your seat again or go back to the old location?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband does not hear well so we sit close enough he can lip read and use his hearing aides. I know there are people we never see.
    I like the new perspective ..maybe I'll sit in the wrong chair at lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete