Friday, March 30, 2012

Maybe it's gout

My right foot has been bothering me for about two weeks.  At first I thought I had jammed a toe.  But it didn't get better.  I quit walking for exercise thinking that I needed to rest it.  That hasn't help.  Soaking it in Epsom salts makes it hurt even more.  Icing it down helped for awhile, but not so much.  Tylenol wasn't cutting it.  So I broke down and called the doctor's office and made an appointment with the nurse practitioner.

"Maybe it's gout," she said.  "Now I really feel old!" I replied. My 80 something grandmother had gout.  I have lots and lots of years until 80!  But as we talked and she examined my foot she ruled out gout.

Off I went to the hospital for X-rays.  A stress fracture was likely.

 I received a call just an hour later.  The nurse practitioner informed me that I have some unpronounceable lesion thingy near my little toe.  Generally, people ages 15-30 get this type of lesion, but since I am "older" (evidently old enough for gout) and in pain they want to do an MRI on Tuesday.  In the meantime I am to take my vicodine and rest my foot.

Maybe it would have been better to hear about gout!

No comments:

Post a Comment