Monday, March 12, 2012

Raising 4H pigs

I grew up in rural Indiana.  4H was a big part of my life.  I did the "normal" girl projects such as sewing and cooking, but one year I also raised pigs.  My step-father was an old farm boy and he encouraged us to raise 4H animals.  The cows were a bit big and overwhelming for me so he talked me into raising hogs.

He got me three cute little pigs from somewhere and brought them home.  We made them a bed of straw and fenced off an area in the barnyard for them to play in.   They were fun to feed and brush.  They were Chester Whites and I worked to keep them white.  Ah...those were the days...the warm smell of sunshine in the barnyard, the piercing squeal of the pigs as they played, the mud squishing through my toes,and  the rough, coarse feel of the pig's skin under my brush.  I had an enjoyable summer lazing through the days watching my pigs, feeding my pigs, brushing my pigs, and listening to their sharp squeals as they played.  They stepped on my feet time and time again, but I didn't care.  It was a warm, wonderful summer.

In August we went to the 4H fair.  My sister had Herefords to show.  I had two of my pigs.  After showing and placing third place with my pigs, it was time for the AUCTION!  Why had no one told me that I would be expected to sell my darling pigs?  The noise of the huge crowd hurt my ears.  As tears fell, I sold my pigs to the highest bidder. 

"I'm never raising pigs again, " I shouted at my step-dad.  And I didn't.  Not until the next year when he once again brought home three cute little pigs.

(For those who might be curious:  The thrid pig was a spare.  the two who behaved best went to teh fair with me.  The third one went right to the butcher and appeared in our freezer that fall.)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I know about 4H. I was in it for 7 years but never took an animal. I always wanted to but my dad wouldn't let me. So my husband and I let our children. Raising pigs must have been fun. We let our kids, but they only did it one year because like you, they realized that they had to sell them and it wasn't fun anymore. I knew what was going to happen but I know that it is life, but I felt sorry for them anyway. I liked your story. Thanks for sharing! It brought back memories for me of my childhood and of my children. Happy Slicing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad to have not known what the end result was going to be! I raised pigs a couple of years in a row for FFA, but I knew how it was going to end. I can't imagine having one show up in my freezer though. I bet that made it even harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in suburbia but joined 4-H for the sewing projects. I certainly could not have handled the auction. My husband, on the other hand, grew up in rural Indiana and pigs were their specialty, too. We have such lovely pig trophies in our house. :) He's quite proud. We are both thankful for our 4-H days, however different they were. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete